Got my butt handed to me on Bonham Fr... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Fishing Texas Network » At The Ramp » Archive through August 3, 2005 » Got my butt handed to me on Bonham Friday night « Previous Next »

Picou
Lunker
Username: Picou

Post Number: 1189

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well, we had the Texbass club night tournament on Lake Bonham and I must say... I got my butt kicked!

The tournament ran from 7:30pm to 7:30am with a weigh in at 1:00am and another at 7:30am. Having fished Bonham for 8 or 9 years I went into this one with a high level of confidence.

I started out on a shoreline suggested by an FTN member and immediately started catching fish on a Hematoma Sweet Beaver 3.5. The problem was they were all short fish. As the sun was setting I ran a white crank bait in a couple of places because nothing wanted to touch my buzz bait. Nothing on the cranks and nothing on the buzz baits. Once it got dark I started pitching a black/blue craw worm at boat docs and reeds and could not find any fish so I picked up the spinnerbait and started working a little deeper water and got bit almost immediately but I could not get these fish to hold on. I lost a couple as soon as they surfaced and missed all the other ones -- or they were short striking. I stuck with the spinnerbait and would pitch the craw worm at every missed fish to no avail. Come the first weigh in Texfisher had 3 fish, his dad had 1 and another member had one fish. We all headed back out and for the next hour I missed a couple more on the spinnerbait and just could not get bit on the craw worm. When I finally got bit on the craw, the fish was swimming out to main lake with my craw and I set the hook. The line popped on the hookset like it was 2 pound test. Frustrated I tied on another craw and kept fishing that shoreline. Then I saw a long sloping shoreline that was begging for a buzzbait so the first cast and wham... Finally landed another fish but it was a dink. Cast to the same water just fished with the craw and had a blowup on the buzz bait but Ii lossed that fish. It was 3:00am now and my frustration level had just about peaked when I finally connected with a solid 3 pounder on the buzz bait. Moving ahead I pitched the craw to a doc and felt that tap. Pulled up the slack and got the tug back. I set the hook and got the same response as the last time with a snapped line. I put that rod away and went to fishing the buzz bait and had at least 1 fish every 15 or 20 minutes blow up on the buzz bait but I would either miss them or they would shake off immediately. I ended up breaking off another fish on the hookset with a different rod and deduced that it was the "Fizz" pellets damaging my line or the reeds -- one of the two. I stuck with the buzz bait the rest of the night and missed more fish than I care to admit. Some of these blowups were right next to the boat and were heart stopping. I have never had a night that hard to connect with buzz baits. I missed more fish in one night that probably the last 2 years of fishing total.

Well, come daylight I went back to the same shorelines that I missed so many fish and could not get bit on a fluke, jig, buzz bait, zara spook, etc... Come 7:30am I still only had the one fish. Texfisher on the other hand had 4 fish in his livewell with the largest being 3.64 and my fish was 3.12. He ended the night with 14+ pounds.

Way to go Tex, you definately proved yourself in some very tough conditions and weighed a commanding sack of fish in comparison to all those who fished. I have never met an angler more humble in his ability and accomplishments. I am more than impressed my friend. I have a lot to learn from you. I truly hope that your weight holds the rest of the weekend.
Thank you Lord for my family and the waters I get to fish
Bigun
Crappie
Username: Bigun

Post Number: 419

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That seems to be a re-occurring theme this year with you!
I've been known to pinch a tail or two in my life!
Texfisher
Crappie
Username: Texfisher

Post Number: 323

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks for the compliment Mike. I feel like I did pretty good for the fishing being as tough as it was. I had been catching better fish on previous trips but they just wasn't there Friday night. I really expected more fish to be caught and there still might be some good stringers weighed in by the other guys. I never did put a solid pattern together except they would hit worms. I caught fish off the reeds, docks and the dam but only one spot produced more than 1 keeper.

I also lost 2 fish due to my braided line slipping through the eye of my hook. I've tried squeezing the eyelet down to prevent this but it still occasionally happens. I guess I'll continue to put up with it because I like the braid when flipping the reeds. I like the sensitivity and being able to make quick hook sets with a short motion.

Mike, let me know when you have a free weekend and we'll make a night trip.
If you're richer than me I think we're related. If you're poorer than me I know we're related.

My bass club webpage http://texbass.8m.com/

Hawlin_bass
Bluegill
Username: Hawlin_bass

Post Number: 134

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'm with you Mike. I too had another thorough butt whippin. I didn't get as many strikes as you did because I stuck with the worm. Mark has amazed me on more than one occasion. I still have much to learn, but fishing with you fellers I'll get there. I would like to add that I was very proud of my 11 yrd old. He fished every bit as hard as I did, he didn't play around in the boat and come up with weird bait combo's as he has in the past. Stuck it out till 3am and then he was give out. He'll be a good fisherman someday. Don't look like he'll be learning from me though!
Texfisher
Crappie

Post Number: 326

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

By the way Mike, I'm humble because before this streak of good luck I skunked 3 tournaments in a row.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I have learned if I'm confident in a pattern to stick with it even if the bites are slow. To many times in the past I would give up and try patterns that do not fit my strengths. Seems like I'm better off just doing what I'm confident in and hope the fish start biting.

HB, Sounds like Dillon is well on his way to being hooked for life. Glad to see he's taking hold of the sport.
If you're richer than me I think we're related. If you're poorer than me I know we're related.

Bigun
Crappie

Post Number: 423

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Mike's mom walked in my door right when I was posting last so cut it short. Did not even know she was in town until she walked in.

Way to go Texfisher. Keep showing them how it's done.

Mike, what else can I say? Everyone has a rough night. I had a rough year two years ago. Much like you talked about, I had a whole year where every time I went fishing I either did not catch or I lost a lot of fish and was really playing with my psychie. Hang in there it will improve.
Picou
Lunker

Post Number: 1191

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Tex, you have the best plan by sticking to what you are the most comfortable with. It has paid off more than not lately. I too stuck with what I like to throw but the fish just did not cooperate. I am not kidding, I probably missed/lost 15 fish on the buzzbait after the first weigh in and then 8 - 10 fish on the spinnerbait. Breaking off the fish on the plastics really hurt also. I hate trailer hooks but I guess I have to use them now. If I could have just landed all the fish that were hooked I would have been culling before the 7:30am weigh in but I was apparently doing something wrong. The fish were there, I just could not put them in the boat.

Robert, it was great chatting with you on the water and thanks again for the bug spray. Sounds like Dillon is well on the road to being a fishing machine. Maybe we should get a group together and go fishing for fun sometime soon.

Bigun, tell mom & grandma hello for me. I definately got the funk on my fishing right now. I think it has a lot to do with lazyness and some bad luck throw in there also. I have been too lazy to respool my rods and too anxious to try new lines. I am going to rip all the line off my rods and respool with brand new big game like I have been throwing all the years before. McCoys and Cajun Red have not proven to be worth it to me.
Will
Bluegill
Username: Will

Post Number: 151

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Texfisher congrats on a good night and Picou hope things go better next time.
Vegatarian: Indian Word for Bad Fisherman
Ozziefish
Minnow
Username: Ozziefish

Post Number: 79

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

No trailer hook on a Buzzbait, shame on you!! Thats the first rule of thumb with a buzzbait. ALWAY have a trailer hook on a buzzbait!!

Breaking off fish hurts :-(
OzzieFish
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"
Bigun
Crappie

Post Number: 424

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I done told you about that Cajun line. Same problem I had. LOTS of breakoffs and breaking in spool. JUNK IMO!
Picou
Lunker

Post Number: 1194

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I agree bigun -- JUNK!!!!!! I am going back to my old standby line that has worked for many, many years -- Big Game. I have been breaking cajun red and McCoys on the hookset in the last 3 tournaments I have fished -- mostly on the red stuff.

Trailer hook Shmailer hook... I have been fishing buzz baits for many years and never had a problem with hookups. I guess it was overdue though and now I will be buying some trailer hooks and starting to use them. Good thing Gamakatsu makes trailer hooks... I also think part of the problem was the rod I was using -- 6' medium. When those fish hit a full cast away, I probably could not get enough on them to drive the hook home. Usually I am fishing a BB with the 6.5' MH fast action rod.

Poor choices all around... Hopefully I learn from these mistakes -- yea' right... :-)
Bigun
Crappie

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Mike, I'm really sold on Triplefish camo line. I just love the stuff if you want to try some.
Picou
Lunker

Post Number: 1196

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I emailed customer service for Cajun Line and they want to send me a new spool of line because they are convinced I must have had a bad spool.

Here is my one and only weigher for the tourney -- 3.12 lbs on the club scales.

bonham_3.2lb
Charles
Username: Charles

Post Number: 377

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Grasshopper, grasshopper!

Sometimes thats how it goes Mike. Better luck next time.

I'll second the trailer hooks. Also make sure your hooks are sharp.
Wes
Username: Wes

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Picou, it is just that oak lawn hook set you have.
Charles
Username: Charles

Post Number: 379

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

Picou, it is just that oak lawn hook set you have.

Now, that's funny!
Bigun
Crappie

Post Number: 434

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Cajun line needs to send me three spools then....
Ozziefish
Minnow
Username: Ozziefish

Post Number: 80

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Mike,
I agree with Wes, you just can't get a good hook set with your wrist all limp like that ;)

Love ya bud...:-)
OzzieFish
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"
Atthewall
Crappie
Username: Atthewall

Post Number: 361

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

Mike, what else can I say? Everyone has a rough night. I had a rough year two years ago. Much like you talked about, I had a whole year where every time I went fishing I either did not catch or I lost a lot of fish and was really playing with my psychie. Hang in there it will improve.

Fixin to have another one of those spells again BigUn.....AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

PQ You gave it your best and thats all you can do. I'm sure Wes can give you a few tips? :-)
Bigun
Crappie

Post Number: 437

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Cajun Neaux Fear reporting for duty ROB!
Texfisher
Crappie

Post Number: 335

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 5:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey Picou, where you at? Oh there you are, just had to scroll down a little. J/K

Participant #Fish Wgt

1 MARK MORGAN 7/7 14.77
2 MARK PARKER 5/5 11.43
3 FRANK HALEY 4/4 8.75
4 RON SAUCEMAN 4/4 8.11
5 PAUL SCHOGGIN 3/2 7.91
6 DON WILBORN 3/3 6.70
7 DAN STODGHILL 2/2 6.12
8 MARK KEOWN 3/3 4.53
9 JOHNNY BULLARD 2/ 4.40
10 STEVE WHALEY 2/2 3.15
11 MIKE PICOU 1/1 3.12

Picou
Lunker

Post Number: 1211

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I like the modest Texfisher better...

Congrats on yet another 1st place Mark. How many in a row is that now? YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-)
Texfisher
Crappie

Post Number: 336

Posted on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That's 4 wins out of 6 tournaments. This is the best I've ever done in 10 years of fishing this club. The most wins I've ever had in a year is 3 so this is new territory for me.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration